Today is the first Sunday after Easter and we centre our thoughts on the resurrection and what it means for us. In John’s Gospel, resurrection is virtually synonymous with Life, and so this sermon is about the Resurrection Life. Jesus says, “I am the Resurrection and the Life”. He also says, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full”.
I am including the readings from John (New International Version) so that you have them readily at hand.
Love, peace and joy
Resurrection and Life are intimately tied together in Jesus
- Jn 11:25 – Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;
Jesus repeatedly speaks as if he embodies Life itself
- Jn 1:4 – In him was life, and that life was the light of men.
- Jn 5:26 – For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself.
- Jn 6:63 – The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.
Jesus repeatedly says that he IS Life
- Jn 14:6 – Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- Jn 6:48 – I am the bread of life.
- Jn 8:12 – When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
Jesus repeatedly says that we obtain Life through him
- Jn 10:10 – The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
- Jn 4:14 – but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
- Jn 6:27 – Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”
- Jn 6:35 – Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.
- Jn 6:51 – I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
- Jn 6:54 – Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
Jesus repeatedly says that we must believe in him to gain eternal life
- Jn 3:16 – “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Jn 17:3 – Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
- Jn 5:24 – “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.
- Jn 6:40 – For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.”