Click here to listen to the MP3 of this 21-minute message.
How often have we heard a sermon on Parable of the Talents? The idea that God has bestowed talents or gifts on each of us? And that we have to use our talents or lose them? This is not a bad idea, but it is not what Jesus is saying in this parable.
In this message, I deconstruct the notion that this parable is about talents and place it where it belongs – in the metaphor of business and commerce. I put forward the idea that Jesus is inviting us to become shareholders in God’s business venture on earth – the business or mission to bring salvation to the whole cosmos. What a great opportunity, if a little daunting, to be a business partner with the Son of God!
My newly published book, Being God’s Beloved, which most of you participated in during Lent this year, is available for sale.
- For those living in Gauteng, South Africa, I have copies of the book available at my home and office at R250 a copy. This is cheaper than you can get it at the local online book stores (R300 at Loot and R420 at Kalahari). Currently, I can accept cash or EFT, but within a week or so I’ll also be able to accept credit cards. For EFT payments, please use the following banking details, then let me know by email (email@example.com) that you’ve made payment and how I can arrange to get the books to you:
- Acc: 01-358-511-8 (savings) (013585118)
- Bank: Standard
- Branch: 012645 (Centurion)
- For those living outside of Gauteng, in South Africa, I’d love to post you your books. We’re looking at under R50 for the postage (that’s trust that our post office is delivering, of course). I suggest you email me in advance (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can discuss arrangements. EFT will be best.
- For those living elsewhere in the world, I suggest you purchase direct from Westbow Publishers. I get the best royalties if you purchase from the publisher. But if it is more convenient, it is also available online at Amazon and Barnes & Nobel.
- My book is available in virtually every e-book format you could hope for, including Kindle and ibook, for those who prefer paperless.
- Please note that my book includes a series of discussion questions for use in a small group study. These are designed for any small group, and would be particularly useful during Lent. Maybe this is something you want to consider doing with your home fellowship group. Everyone would do the daily readings for six days a week, and meet once a week to discuss what you’ve read.
- I do ask that you please assist me in marketing the book. Of course, sales yield royalties, which are largely going to pay off the debt I incurred by self-publishing the book. But more importantly, by promoting the book or giving a book as a gift to someone else, you are helping to spread the gospel God’s great and extravagant love for humanity. Although the book is targeted at Christian believers, it could be very useful for someone who is searching and interested in the Christian faith.
- Here is a link to the first few chapters of my book. If someone is unsure if this is for them, please encourage them to download this PDF file and have a preview.
- Lastly, please would you assist me by posting a review of the book on Amazon? Reviews are vital to letting other people know that this is a worthwhile read. I will be most grateful if you would post something, be it short or long. Positive comments would, of course, be greatly appreciated. But I will also welcome critical feedback.
Blessings and peace
I am delighted to tell you that you Being God’s Beloved has been published by Westbow and is available for sale. It pulls together, in printed form and with a lovely cover, the reflections that we shared together during Lent this year, and a set of discussion questions for use in a small group study. Many thanks to everyone who participated in the course during Lent and who shared the reflections with others. Thank you particularly to the parish of St-Martin-in-the-Fields, Irene, for providing the space for me to exercise this ministry.
I do hope that you will purchase copies of the book for yourself and for friends and family. How great it would be to participate in spreading the message of God’s extravagant and generous love during this Christmas.
- For those living outside of South Africa, I encourage you to purchase the book from Westbow publishers, by following this link. You can purchase the book in printed or digital (Kindle, etc) forms.
- For those living in South Africa, I will be importing copies of the book over the next week or two and will be selling them directly to you, at significantly reduced cost. I encourage you to hold on until I send out another notification that I have the books in my possession and we can arrange distribution.
Love and blessings
My heartfelt thanks to Louise Sparrow for painting the cover art and to Lynda Smith for the author photograph.